UNDER CONTRACT as of April 2019.
RFP For Agricultural Lease at 449 Westerly-Bradford Road, Westerly
RFP announcement: December 10, 2018
Open property visit: December 27, 2018
Proposals due: January 14, 2019
Calling all farmers!
This is a request for proposals to farm the land at 449 Westerly-Bradford Road in Westerly, RI, owned by The Westerly Land Trust. Location is approximately 50 minutes from Providence by car, and is not accessible by public transportation.
A map of the parcel with approximate boundaries of the land available for farming will be included in the attachments if you receive this request by e-mail. There are no restrictions on what types of individuals or institutions can make a proposal to farm this land.
The farmable parcel is approximately 3.2 acres in size. There are several outbuildings on the site, some of which may be available for the farmer’s use. The Westerly Land Trust will utilize the house and some of the outbuildings on the site, and will have an active presence there. WLT will be working closely with the farmer on the aesthetics of the farm operation.
There is a dug well on the property which can be accessible for irrigation once put back into working order. Municipal water service and electrical service are available but would need to be adapted to serve the farm.
Interested farmers are welcome to visit the property during an Open House on Thursday December 27th from 1-3 pm. If you are not able to visit during the open house, you can contact Jennifer Fusco at the Westerly Land Trust via e-mail at [email protected] to make alternate arrangements to see the property.
To make a proposal, please return the following information by 5pm, January 14, 2019 via email to [email protected]:
1. Provide a layout map detailing the section of the property you wish to lease. This can include a portion of the field, or the whole field. A plot plan that includes enough information to determine what the mature operation would look like would be ideal.
2. Describe the crops you wish to grow, and the farming methods you plan to utilize. Please be as detailed as possible. Include specific amendments like types of fertilizers, composts, etc. as well as how you intend to deal with soil health and which conservation measures you would implement. Proposals that specifically plan organic practices and chemical free agriculture will be given top priority for use of the land.
3. Indicate the facilities you wish to use or construct including sheds, farm stands, fencing, utility distribution including irrigation, and any greenhouses, or other growing structures planned for the project.
4. Outline the proposed terms of leasing. The time frame, financial terms, plans for liability insurance, and any specific requirements should be spelled out here. For example, do you want a 1-year term, or a 5-year term? How much per month per acre are you willing to rent the land for? Typical lease rates are around $100/acre/month in the area, but this depends on the levels of effort of the farmer and landowner in making improvements to the property going forward. Feel free to be creative in your proposed terms. What else might you consider agreeing to in turn for the rights to use the space?
5. Include information on the agricultural and business experience of the principal applicant(s) and a brief description of business plans for the operation. Do you plan to have on-site sales, and what might that look like?
6. Include e-mail, phone and mail contact information for the applicant. Entire proposals should not exceed 5 pages. Pdf format for the application is preferred, but an MS Word file will be accepted.